By Cheryl Thomson, CNM Natural Chef Student
While there’s no escaping the fact that the days are getting shorter and the tail end of summer is upon us, my local grocer is still well stocked with deliciously plump Hereford strawberries and raspberries, as well as beetroot straight from the Gower coast. Berries and beets might seem like an unlikely pairing but they work a treat in this recipe to create a delightfully vibrant smoothie with a sweet yet slightly earthy flavour. So make the most of our British produce and bring a ray of sunshine to your morning.
This nutritious blend will provide a sustained release of energy whilst also bringing plenty of soluble and insoluble fibre as well as probiotics to support good digestive health – an ideal way to kick start a busy day.
Any berries will work well in this recipe so mix it up according to availability. I like to keep a couple of punnets in the freezer as the frozen fruit gives a deliciously thick and creamy texture. Or just add a few blocks of ice towards the end of the blending process.
Berryliscious Beet Smoothie
- 150 g mixed berries fresh or frozen (preferably organic)
- ½ medium beetroot scrubbed, trimmed and roughly chopped
- ¼ medium avocado peeled and stoned
- 1 handfull baby spinach leaves
- 2 tbsp flax seeds freshly ground
- 140 ml coconut kefir
- 300 ml coconut water
- 1 tbsp hemp protein powder (optional)
- Add all the prepared ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Additional coconut water can be added until desired consistency is achieved, or alternatively add less for a lovely thick smoothie bowl.
- If using fresh berries rather than frozen, you may want to add a few blocks of ice at the end of the process and blend again for a few seconds.
Allergy Advice: none
For more information on CNM’s Natural Chef Diploma course please click here.