Sweet Potato, Ginger and Turmeric Soup
This spicy, warming soup has a perfect variety of ingredients to help with overall health and wellbeing. Turmeric and ginger have anti-inflammatory properties and may support the immune system as well as sore, achy joints. Sweet potatoes are rich in beta-carotene, necessary to form vitamin A which is essential for eye health, digestion and the immune system. The chickpeas are a good source of protein. Eating protein with every meal, as well as eating complex carbohydrates such as vegetables helps sustain energy levels throughout the day. The soup can be made in batches and frozen.
Servings: 4 People
- 4 sweet potatoes peeled and cubed
- 2 tbsp olive/coconut oil for heating
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 clove of garlic crushed 8 minutes before cooking to benefit from its properties
- 2 cm freshly grated ginger
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 600 ml vegetable stock/water
- 400 g cooked chickpeas rinsed thoroughly
- salt and pepper to taste
- drizzle of extra virgin cold pressed olive oil or
- 1 tsp coconut yoghurt
- Prepare the onion, garlic and ginger.
- Sauté all 3 in the oil for 2 minutes.
- Add sweet potatoes, turmeric and stock, and bring to the boil.
- Simmer with lid on for 30 minutes. Add salt and black pepper to taste
- When the potatoes are soft, pour into a blender and blend until smooth.
- After blending add the chickpeas whole or you can blend if you prefer a thicker soup.
- Top, and serve.