Roasted Beetroot and Heritage Carrot Tart
For the vegetables
- 1 large organic beetroot, trimmed and scrubbed
- 4 medium organic heritage carrots, scrubbed and peeled if preferred
- 1 tbsp of coconut oil
- a pinch of sea salt and pepper to taste
For the pastry
- 1/2 cup of hazelnuts
- 2 cups of ground almonds
- 1 tbsp of arrowroot powder
- 1 tbsp of ground flax
- 1/2 tsp of sea salt
- 2 tbsp of coconut oil
- 4 tbsp of filtered water
For the filling
- 3 small shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 3 tsp of fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 3 tsp of coconut oil
- 230 g organic chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp of tahini
- the juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1/2 a teaspoon of sea salt
- 2 tsp of macadamia oil
- 1 tbsp of hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- Heat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius, 180 for fan assisted.Heat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius, 180 for fan assisted.
- Arrange the beetroot and carrots, whole, across a shallow oven tray. Season with a little salt and pepper and add a tablespoon of coconut oil to the tray. Transfer to the oven to bake for 35-40 minutes until tender, turning halfway through.
- Whilst the vegetables are cooking you can prepare the pastry. Add the hazelnuts to a food processor and pulse to form a crumb.
- Add the ground almonds, ground flaxseed, arrowroot and salt. Blend to combine.
- Add the coconut oil and pulse to form a chunky crumb.
- Add the water a little at a time until a dough forms, adding more or less as required.
- Wrap the dough in silicone free baking paper and transfer to the fridge for 10 minutes to chill.
- To make the filling, heat a teaspoon of coconut oil in a frying pan over a low/medium heat. Add the shallots, garlic and two teaspoons of rosemary, sweating gently until tender. Set aside to cool.
- Once the vegetables are cooked, set aside until cool enough to handle and peel away the beetroot skin. Quarter the beetroot and slice the carrots in half lengthwise. Reduce the oven temperature to 180 Celsius, 160 fan assisted.
- Sprinkle the cooked vegetables with the remaining rosemary and drizzle with the macadamia oil, toss to combine and set aside.
- Add an orange carrot to a food processor along with the chickpeas, cooled garlic and shallots, lemon juice, tahini, sea salt and remaining coconut oil. Blend to a thick paste, as smooth as you can get it.
- Roll or press the pastry into a 7-inch loose bottom tart tin. Prick the base with a fork and transfer to the oven for 12 minutes.
- Remove the part baked pastry from the oven and fill the tart with the carrot and chickpea mixture.
- Arrange the cooked vegetables in amongst the chickpea filling. Scatter over the chopped hazelnuts.
- Transfer to the oven for a further 20-25 minutes until the pastry is crisp and the filling is piping hot through. Leave to cool a little in the tin before serving.