Vegan Root Vegetable Gratin
- 3 small parsnips peeled and finely sliced
- 2 medium beetroot peeled and finely sliced
- 2 medium sweet potatoes peeled and finely sliced
- 3 tablespoons of coconut oil
For the topping
- 1 cup of cashews, soaked in water overnight
- 1 cup of water
2 cloves of garlic peeled
- 2 teaspoons of de-stalked and chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 2 teaspoons of fresh thyme leaves
- A pinch of ground nutmeg
- A generous pinch of sea salt
A generous helping of freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan assisted
- Layer the beetroot slices across the bottom of an ovenproof dish (approx. 20 x 30 cm) so that they overlap slightly. Place 1 tablespoon of coconut oil on top of the beetroot layer.
- Layer the parsnip slices over the top of the beetroot layer. Add a tablespoon of coconut oil to the top of the parsnips.
- Layer the sweet potato slices over the top of the parsnip layer and add the final tablespoon of coconut oil.
- To make the cashew topping, add the cashews, garlic cloves and water to a blender and blend to a smooth consistency. Season generously with salt and pepper and add the nutmeg and fresh herbs. Blend again until you have a perfectly smooth sauce.
- Pour the cashew sauce over the layered vegetables and place in the center of the oven to bake for 45 minutes until golden and crisp on top.