This lovely berry tart is loaded with antioxidants, omega 3 fatty acids and lots of beta-carotene and Vitamin C. It is easy to make and can even be used as a birthday cake. Being free of refined sugar it’s ideal for a kids’ party.
Vegan Berry Tart
Servings: 6 people
- 2 tbsp chia seeds soak in ½ cup water for about 5 minutes
- 1 cup hazelnuts blend to flour consistency
- 1/2 cup gluten free flour
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 cup olive oil
Chocolate filling ingredients
- 2 sweet potatoes steam in oven on 180c for 40 minutes or until soft, scoop out the flesh and allow to cool
- 1/2 cup soaked cashew nuts soak in water for 1 hour
- 7 dried apricots soak in water for 1 hour
- 4 tbsp raw cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 5 tbsp cashew milk or other plant milk
- 1 tsp raw honey
- strawberries or other seasonal berries
- liquid chocolate warm up 1tbsp coconut oil, 1 tbsp cocoa powder and 1 tsp honey
- Preheat oven to 200c. Put all the ingredients into a bowl or mixer, and mix well. Make a round ball out of the dough and press into a 20cm cake form, lined with baking paper. Bake for 15-20 minutes and leave to cool before adding the toppings.
Use organic ingredients where possible.
Recipe by Beata Devlin, CNM Nutritional Therapist.