Chia Oat Parfait
This overnight parfait is perfect to grab from the fridge in the morning for a tasty weekday breakfast when you’re in a hurry. The combined chia and oats keep you feeling full for hours, while the chia jam is deceptively simple to make and adds a colourful burst of skin-boosting antioxidants.
Chia Oat Parfait
- 60 g gluten-free rolled oats
- 2 1/2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 500 ml dairy free milk either unsweetened almond or low-fat coconut milk
- selection fresh fruit berries, chopped bananas, peaches, figs and Kiwi all work well
Raspberry Chia Jam
- 1 tbsp organic pure maple syrup
- 250 g frozen raspberries
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- To make the raspberry chia jam, heat the maple syrup in a saucepan over a medium heat until it begins to gently bubble. Add the frozen raspberries and lemon juice, stirring well, and simmer until the berries begin to break down and liquefy. Taste at this point and add a little more maple syrup if you prefer it sweeter, though I like it quite tart. Add the chia seeds and stir well for 60 seconds. Turn off the heat and continue to stir until the chia seeds begin to absorb the liquid from the raspberries and swell up. Pour the jam into a container or jar and set in the fridge for 1 hour.
- To make the parfait, mix together the oats, chia seeds, cinnamon, vanilla extract and plant milk in a bowl.
- Now for the fun part! Layer up the parfait in a glass jar, starting with a layer of the oats, followed by a layer of raspberry chia jam, until you have filled the jar almost to the top. Screw the lid on top and leave in the fridge overnight to let the flavours blend together.
- In the morning, add your fresh fruit to the top of the jar, grab a spoon and enjoy! It’s as simple as that.