Warm Red Cabbage and Apple Salad
This warm red cabbage salad is packed with nutrient-dense, aromatic spices, sweet apple, crunchy toasted walnuts and drizzled in a tangy tahini dressing.
This is a great winter salad option, packed with vibrant colours and flavours of the season.
Servings: 4 people
For the salad
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds
- 1/2 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 large red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon of ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup of walnuts
- 1 Braeburn apple, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons of sultanas
- 2 tablespoons of fresh coriander
A generous pinch of sea salt
For the dressing
- 1 heaped teaspoon of tahini
- 1 tablespoon of walnut oil
- 1 teaspoon of maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon of water
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- A pinch of sea salt
Heat the coconut oil in a large frying pan over a low/medium heat. Add the cumin seeds and onion and cook gently for 2-3 minutes until tender and fragrant.
Add the cabbage, ground coriander and cinnamon. Season with salt to taste and add the apple cider vinegar. Stir well to combine and cook over a medium heat for 7-10 minutes or until the cabbage is tender.
Whilst the cabbage is cooking, whisk together all the dressing ingredients until smooth.
Add the walnuts to a small dry pan over a low/medium heat and toast gently for 3-4 minutes until warm and golden.
Add the cabbage to a large serving dish with the diced apple and sultanas. Crumble in the toasted walnuts and scatter the coriander. Stir well to combine.
Drizzle with the tahini dressing to serve.