Vegetable Kebabs with Pesto Sauce
Servings: 6 skewers
For the kebabs
- 1 small courgette peeled and sliced into 12x 1cm discs
- 1 small aubergine peeled and sliced into 12x 1cm semi circles
- 1 small red bell pepper deseeded and sliced into 12 bite sized chunks
- 1 small yellow bell pepper deseeded and sliced into 12 bite sized chunks
- 2 medium red onions peeled and sliced into 12 wedges
- 2 portobello mushrooms sliced into 12x 1cm wedges
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 1 tsp lemon zest
For the pesto
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp pine nuts
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- Cover 6 wooden skewers with water and leave to soak for 20 minutes
- To prepare the pesto, add the basil, garlic, pine nuts, lemon zest, lemon juice and nutritional yeast to a food processor. Blend to form a chunky paste.
- Add the olive oil and season to taste. Blend again to form a pesto sauce. Taste and adjust seasonings if required.
- To prepare the kebabs, tip the diced vegetables into a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the minced garlic, olive oil and lemon zest with 2 tablespoons of pesto.
- Pour the pesto marinade over the vegetables. Use your hands to rub the pesto and oil into the vegetables then set aside for 20 minutes to marinade.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, 180° for fan assisted.
- Thread the marinated vegetables onto the prepared skewers, alternating as you go. You will have two pieces of each vegetable per skewer.
- Arrange the skewers across a shallow oven tray and bake for 10 minutes or until the vegetables are tender and slightly caramelised.
- Serve with the remaining pesto sauce.
CNM recommends the use of organic ingredients.
Recipe from the CNM Natural Chef Kitchen Are you interested in healthy cooking? Do you want to make a career out of something you love? To find out more about becoming a CNM Natural Chef, book your place at our next free-to-attend Open Evening. Or contact Angie on 01342 410505 or at email@example.com to discuss becoming a CNM Natural Chef.