Black Rice Sushi Rolls
- 520 g black rice
- 160 ml cup rice vinegar
- 60 ml tamari (to taste)
- 10 x nori sheets
- 5 roasted carrots, sliced lengthwise to create long, narrow strips
- 2.5 avocado, sliced lengthwise to create long, narrow strips
- 2.5 fennel bulbs, thinly sliced
- 200 g celeriac, thinly sliced
- 10 g ginger, finely chopped
- 300 g cup date sugar
- 325 ml cup raw apple cider vinegar
- 2.5 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 40 ml tablespoon coconut aminos
For the rice
- Wash the black rice and soak in filtered water overnight
- Bring 10.5 cups of filtered water to a boil in a cooking pot.
- Add the rice to boiling water.
- Keep rice at a low boil, slowly reducing the heat and stirring periodically.
- Remove rice from heat when all water has been absorbed by the rice.
- Transfer the rice to the large mixing bowl and allow to cool.
- To make the rice sticky, mix it with rice vinegar and tamari.
For the Fennel Jam
- Place all the jam ingredients in a Dutch oven and bring to the boil over a medium heat.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook until fennel and celeriac are soft and the texture becomes thick and jam-like, 30 to 40 minutes.
- With wet hands, form a small handful of rice into a ball.
- Gently put the rice ball in the middle of the nori sheet, and start spreading it evenly across the nori, until there is a layer of rice covering almost the entire sheet except for an edge of about 2cm that should be kept uncovered.
- Spread a thin layer of jam over the rice and lay slices of avocado and carrot along the middle of the nori.
- Using the closer edge of a rolling mat, roll the nori, keeping it tight to stop the ingredients from falling out when you cut it.
- Roll the sushi back and forth in the mat to tighten and seal it.
- Use a wet, sharp knife to cut the roll into quarter segments. It is useful to keep the knife wet.