Mushroom and Leek Courgette Linguine
This quick and easy spaghetti recipe uses courgette in place of pasta for a simple low carb, gluten and grain-free dinner option. The creamy cashew nut cheese sauce is a delicious alternative to dairy-based pasta sauces, wonderful for all but especially those who may be at the beginning of their vegan journey.
Servings: 2 people
For the cashew cheese sauce
- 1.5 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked in water overnight
- 1/2 cup of cashew milk
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- A pinch of ground nutmeg
For the linguine
- 5 medium chestnut mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 small leek, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 large courgette, outer skin peeled and ends chopped and discarded. Flesh peeled into wide ribbons
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Firstly prepare the sauce. Drain the cashew nuts, discarding the soaking liquid. Add to a food processor along with the remaining sauce ingredients and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Taste and adjust seasonings if required.
- Next prepare the pasts. Melt the coconut oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the leek and mushrooms and sweat gently for 3-4 minutes or until tender.
- Add the courgette ribbons and stir well to combine, allowing to soften for a minute.
- Add the cashew cheese sauce and stir well to coat everything. Cook for a further minute or two until everything is hot through and the courgette is tender.
- Scatter with chopped fresh parsley to serve .
If you overcook the courgette it will release too much water and make the recipe too wet.