Vegan Hot Cross Buns
- 2 tsp dried active yeast
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 110 ml lukewarm water
- 160 ml room lukewarm oat milk
- 80 ml softened coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan rock salt
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 50 ml maple syrup or brown rice malt syrup
- 1 tbsp organic grated orange zest
- 1 tbsp organic lemon zest
- 500 grams spelt flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
For the Crosses
- 5 tbsp all-purpose white flour
- Enough water to make a thick pipe-able paste
- In a processor or by hand, add the yeast, 1 tsp of maple syrup, and lukewarm water. Let stand for five minutes.
- When the mixture is foamy, add the oat milk, coconut oil, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, maple syrup or brown rice syrup, orange zest, lemon zest, baking powder and 1 cup of flour. Mix together with a wooden spoon.
- Add 2.5 cups of flour and knead together with your hands.
- If the dough sticks together, add a little more flour and keep kneading until it is not.
- Add the raisins and cranberries and knead until mixed through.
- Lightly oil the inside of a medium glass bowl. Place the mixture in to the bowl and cover with a towel. Let it sit for about an hour.
- After an hour, knead for a further minute.
- Line an 11 x 13 inch pan with greaseproof paper.
- Separate dough into 12 equal pieces and roll each one in to a ball and place on the pan.
- Cover with a towel for a further 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 180C.
- Make the flour and water paste for the crosses. Just add enough water to the 5 tablespoons of flour to make a thick paste for piping. Remove the towel from the buns, fill a piping bag or piping syringe with the paste and pipe a cross shape on each bun.
- Brush a little oat milk over them just before placing in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool on a rack. Once cooled separate the buns and serve.
Best served with raspberry chia seed jam and coconut butter CNM recommends the use of organic ingredients.