Learn how homeopathy can be used for fevers, nausea, bruising and other common ailments
Homeopathy is based on the principle of “like cures like”, also known as the Law of Similars. Developed by Dr Samuel Hahnemann in 1791, homeopathy aims to facilitate the body’s own natural healing process and bring it back into balance. Homeopathic remedies use minute doses of a particular substance which is then diluted and succussed (by banging or shaking) to increase its potency. Learn which essential homeopathic remedies to include in your first aid kit and how homeopathy can be used for common ailments including fevers, nausea, colds/ flu and bruising or injuries.
How does Homeopathy work?
Homeopathy works by using a specific remedy to match the symptoms or ailment that is presenting in a person (like cures like). An example of this is coffee. For most people, coffee is a stimulant which would normally keep them up if drunk late at night. The remedy coffea (from the coffee bean) is used homeopathically to treat insomnia and sleep issues. Using a minute dose of the substance (i.e. coffee) which would ordinarily cause issues in a person with no symptoms, has the complete opposite effect in a person experiencing symptoms (i.e. sleep issues).
The substances from which homeopathic remedies are made include:
- Animals such as the ink of squid
- Plants and flowers
- Nosodes which are made from diseased human or animal tissues or discharges
- Sarcodes which are the healthy glands secretions of humans, animals and plants
- Energies such as x-ray
How to use Homeopathy
Homeopathic remedies are absorbed orally under the tongue and come in several forms, including:
- Liquids and sprays
- Pillules (tiny pills)
- Creams and ointments
- Ampoules (such as eye drops or injectables)
- Powders and granules
Homeopathy can be used for a range of conditions and ailments, both acutely and chronically, from bruising and nausea to IBS and migraines. A homeopath can prescribe a remedy specific to you and the symptoms you are experiencing.
Remedies vary in strength and are categorised according to their potency. The most common potency is a 30C (Centesimal) which is a lower dose remedy and one you will find in most over-the-counter homeopathic remedies. A higher potency is a 200C and this is best prescribed by a homeopath. A 30C has been diluted 30 times, whereas a 200C has been diluted 200 times and is therefore much stronger. The highest potency you can use is an M which has been diluted 1000+ times.
First Aid Homeopathic Remedies
First aid homeopathic remedies are remedies you can us acutely at home or when travelling to treat common ailments such as cuts, bruises, bites, colds and nausea. Using the right remedy can clear up symptoms relatively quickly and they work really well for children. Homeopathy is also safe to use in pregnancy, when breastfeeding and for the elderly.
Here are some essential first aid homeopathic remedies:
- Belladonna is an excellent remedy for fevers, especially fevers in children where they feel red and very hot (like a throbbing fever). This remedy helps to break the fever and bring on a sweat.
- Aconite is another fever remedy. It’s indicated for a fever that comes on suddenly and is coupled with a sore throat or a headache.
- Ferrum Phos is a remedy you would use for a minor fever and swelling associated with the common cold, especially in the early stages where you can feel a little chilly.
- Arsenicum can be used for vomitting and diarrhoea, especially from food poisoning, viral infections or traveller’s diarrhoea. The person may feel thirsty and cold, yet the pains they are experiencing feel like a burning sensation.
- Arnica is the go-to remedy for bruising, injury or trauma. It helps relieve pain and swelling. It can be taken internally or applied externally to the skin as a lotion or cream.
- Podophyllum is for explosive diarrhoea (which usually occurs in the morning) where it is quite watery and there is also a cramping pain.
A remedy for every ailment
Homeopathy is a modality that can be used in acute, first-aid situations to alleviate symptoms quickly and effectively. Homeopathic remedies are easy to administer and safe to use with children, in pregnancy and when breastfeeding. They can be used for any type of ailment and can be found in your local health shop or pharmacy. For chronic ailments or multiple symptoms, it’s best to consult with a homeopath so they prescribe the correct remedy and dose for you.