Sweet Potato Toast
2 medium sweet potatoes
A carton/tin of organic chickpeas in water
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
12 asparagus spears, woody ends removed
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, finely chopped
- A generous pinch of sea salt and black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200°C or 180° for a fan assisted oven.
- Slice the potatoes in half lengthwise, then slice each half into approximately 4 slices. You want to have 8 slices each roughly 1 cm thick.
- Arrange the sliced potatoes across a shallow oven tray and bake for 12 minutes, turning halfway through. The potatoes should be cooked through and lightly golden all over.
- Whilst the potatoes are cooking, pour two tablespoons of chickpea liquid into a mixing bowl, reserving the chickpeas for another dish. Add the lemon juice, salt, pepper and oil. Use a handheld stick blender and blend well until thick and creamy. This should only take about 15 seconds. Taste and adjust seasonings adding more salt or lemon if preferred.
- Add the asparagus to a saucepan and cover with water, adding a little salt. Bring to a boil and simmer for 2-3 minutes until tender but still crisp.
- Drain and immediately rinse under cold water.
- Serve two - four slices of sweet potato toast per person depending on the size of your potatoes and spoon a little mayo over each. Top with the asparagus and more mayonnaise.
- Scatter with the fresh chives to serve.
Become a Nutritional Therapist