Hibiscus & Orange Kefir Immune-boost
20g kefir crystals
20g organic cane sugar
200ml filtered water
- 3 dried hibiscus flowers
1 stick cinnamon
2 allspice berries
Rind of half an orange
- Avoid using metal utensils; they could adversely affect the fragile kefir crystals. Dissolve the sugar into the water and gently add, with the crystals, into a clean jar. Cover with a paper towel, secure with string and put in a warm cupboard for 48-72 hours to allow the fermentation to take place.
- Taste at intervals (remember, no metal spoons!) and when the sweetness has reduced, filter the kefir water into a sterilised, sealable bottle or jar with the flowers and spices.
- Refill the jar of kefir crystals with another sugar solution and return both the jar and the bottle of spiced liquid to the cupboard.
- Release the gas from the flavoured water container once each day to avoid any explosions as the drink increases in effervescence.
- Once it has reached your preferred flavour, remove the flowers, rind and spices and place the drink in the fridge.
- As you continue to feed the kefir crystals with sugar water, they will multiply, allowing you to brew more and different kefir water flavours.
- Only use sugar water to feed your kefir crystals. Never introduce spices, fruit or other flavours to the crystals, as they can become contaminated and die off.
Become a Nutritional Therapist