Warm Almond and Pistachio Sponge with Cardamom and Rose
For the cake
- 100g gluten-free flour, plus 2-3 tablespoons extra to dust the cake tin
- 150g ground almonds
- 100g pistachios kernels
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
- 2 tablespoons of ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground cardamom
- Pinch of sea salt
- 4 tablespoons warm water
- 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed
- 120g coconut sugar
- 120g coconut oil, plus 1 tablespoon to oil the cake tin
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons rose water
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 250ml rooibos tea or water
- 100ml maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 tablespoon pistachios, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried rose petals
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas Mark 6. Lightly oil a 7-inch cake tin and dust with flour –shake out any excess flour.
- To prepare the cake batter, place the gluten-free flour and ground almonds into a large bowl.
- Add the pistachios to a food processor and blitz to a heavy crumb consistency. Add the pistachio crumbs to the flour and almonds. Add the baking powder, cinnamon, cardamom and a pinch of salt. Mix together well to combine.
- Add the ground flax to a small bowl with the warm water. Stir together to combine, creating a flax ‘egg’. Set aside whilst you prepare the rest of the cake.
- Cream the coconut oil and coconut sugar together in a mixing bowl or food processor. Add in the flax egg, vanilla extract, rose water and lemon juice. Mix together until smooth.
- Slowly drizzle the tea or water into the wet ingredients a little at a time, stirring until smooth and well combined.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and beat together well until smooth.
- Spoon the cake batter into the lined cake tin and level with the spatula.
- Transfer the cake to the oven for 35 minutes or until golden brown all over, cooked through and a skewer comes out clean.
- Whilst the cake is cooking, whisk together the maple syrup and lemon juice.
- Once the cake is cooked but still warm, drizzle over the lemon juice and maple syrup mix then scatter over the crushed pistachios and rose petals. Serve warm.